Saturday, February 7, 2009

So, I saw Slumdog..

I caught Slumdog Millionaire over the weekend in a surprisingly packed theatre here in town. I have to say, the direction, storyline, and perspective of the movie astounded me. The movie was a good one, and far more entertaining than usual oscar fare. I liked the movie, I did. But I can't help but think about the overall impact of a movie that has become as big as Slumdog Millionaire. 

There are some very specific things in the movie I have a problem with. For one, the movie is unnecessarily cringe-worthy. The development of the story was brilliant, and the locations picked stayed in tune with the movie one-hundred percent. But the way the story played out was definitely a little too povertized. A lot of situations young Jamal and young Salim get into would never happen in India, and if it did, it would be extremely improbable that they all happen to the same kid. The same thing applies to a lot of the situations the growing kids get into. 
But my biggest issue with the movie lies in the way India comes across. Almost all the things that happen to the kids in India, happens to kids in India. Everything that happens to the tourists in India, happens to tourists in India. The fact that the movie shows these scenes without any explanation, or any indication that this is not the norm in India, is an issue. I have read multiple reports about people asking how indians can treat indians like this, after watching the movie. Every country has a dark underbelly, and I don't like India's exposed for the world to see and judge. India has an image as a dirt ridden country, where call centers are. The movie does nothing to abolish this stereotype, it builds on it. The older Jamal works at a call center, the best an uneducated Indian can get, right? Religious tensions abound in India, right? Is that why they changed the character from Ram(from the book, Q&A) to Jamal?
The part that really got me was the song-and-dance at the end. Really? I mean, really? Absurd much?
Why is it that every movie that shows India has to do it in a poor light? Every country has its negatives, why does India's take the forefront? This winter, while in Belgium, I discovered that Belgium is nothing short of a mothership for pickpockets. So much so, that there are signs warning of pickpockets at literally every tourist spot. When was the last time a movie showed that? 
It may seem trivial, but it is demonstrates my point. India has a lot to offer, and what slumdog shows is nothing short of a series of unlucky events, culminating in an extremely lucky ending. The bad brother redeems himself. Villain dies. The guy gets the money and the girl. Everyone dances. Everyone's happy. Great big sunset. 

Can anybody say every bollywood movie ever made?

No comments:

Post a Comment